The most often causes of accidents at work near power lines and electrical devices include:
- the operator or some parts of the platform do not maintain safe distances from power lines or electrical devices
- unawareness of the proximity of power lines or electrical devices
- inappropriate operation of the mobile lift platform near power lines or electrical devices
In order to reduce the risk it is required to establish the dangerous zone for workers. It should be marked and fenced in an appropriate way so as the outsiders could not have access to it.
Workers should be in the distance of at least:
- 3 metres for the line of rated voltage up to 1 kV
- 5 metres for the line of rated voltage over 1 kV but to 15 kV
- 10 metres for the line of rated voltage over 15 kV but to 30 kV
- 15 metres for the line of rated voltage over 30 kV but to 110 kV
- 30 metres for the line of rated voltage over 110 kV
The most important rules of safety:
- wherever it is possible, the power lines and electrical devices should be disconnected
- if it is not possible, the adequate protection for the operator of the platform should be ensured (shielding)
- the worksite should be constantly monitored
- all workers must be informed about procedures
- the maximum distance of the reaching arm should be fixed
The appropriate training of workers and following procedures at work are the most important. Power lines and electrical devices constitute a serious hazard for workers using mobile lift platforms, this is why during our trainings we emphasize the proper training in terms of occupational health and safety.
If you are interested in a training for scissor lift, cherry picker in Warsaw or in our branches in Poland – in Cracow, Katowice and Bielsko-Biała, do not hesitate to contact us!